Are you an experienced Train Driver looking for a new position? Would you welcome a salary of circa £51,000 per annum, with opportunities for overtime in addition? Are you from a freight background or passenger background? Do you have a good safety related performance record? Then this could be your ideal next move.
My client are recruiting for Freight Train Drivers in the Tilbury / Essex area. The company was established over 50 years ago and is an award winner in its field. Passionate about Health and Safety you can be reassured that your wellbeing as an employee is very high on their agenda. This combines with an attractive package of Terms and Conditions, including a final salary pension scheme. You will be based at a depot as opposed to being hub based, meaning you won't cover various depots around a large patch.
The successful Freight Train Driver will carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
- Responsible for the safe, unsupervised, movement of traction units and company trains.
- Responsible for learning and retaining knowledge of traction, routes, rules and regulations and operating notices.
- Be able to act and adjust driving technique accordingly to suit prevailing conditions i.e. weather, rail conditions and speed restrictions.
- Be vigilant in observing all signals applicable to locomotive movements and immediately report any irregularities to the Signalman concerned.
- Responsible for reporting to Network Rail by the most expeditious means which is normally to the controlling signalman any safety of the line incident that action may be taken and protection may be put in place.
- Carry out emergency procedures when required including initial HABD examinations (including use of the 'Tempilstik').
The successful Freight Train Driver will have the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- Practical experience of Network Rail Controlled Infrastructure
- Personally up-to-date regarding competence including relevant route/traction knowledge
- Fully conversant with all current operating rules, regulations and notices
- Good safety related performance record.
- Safety of the Line responsibilities to include being fully conversant with all current operating rules, regulations and notices.
- Sound Knowledge of Current Rules and Regulations
- Ability to take and pass Drivers Assessment.
The hours of work will be based on a three shift system covering an operation which runs on a 24/7 basis. Shift A = Midnight to 0800 Shift B = 0800 - 1600 and shift C = 1600 - Midnight. A salary of circa £51k plus Final Salary Pension Scheme, 36 Days Holiday (to include 8 days Bank Holidays), Annualized contract of 1568 hours a year, averaging 35 hours per week, 156 Rest Days (average 4 day working week).
If you have the relevant skills and experience apply now by emailing your CV to Claire Male at Pertemps Industrial Division, Birmingham Branch, at or calling Claire to discuss the position in more detail on 0121 456 4555.